Police NSF who discharged stun gun while twirling it fined $2,500

Police NSF who discharged stun gun while twirling it fined $2,500
(PHOTO: Getty Images)

He was twirling his police-issued stun gun around his right index finger, not knowing that the weapon was live, when he accidentally pulled its trigger.

Fortunately for full-time police national serviceman (NSF) Fayyadh Rahmat, all he hit was the wall of the rest area where he and three other teammates were having lunch. No one was hurt in the incident.

The 21-year-old sergeant was on Thursday (29 March) slapped with a $2,500 fine after he pleaded guilty to one count of committing a rash act on 11 March last year while on duty as a Public Transport Security Command (TransCom) officer.

At the time of the incident, Fayyadh was designated group leader and his teammates – all police NSFs – were under his supervision.

Fayyadh was armed with a Taser X26 stun gun and was the only one in his team carrying the weapon.

At around 10.15am, Fayyadh and his three teammates were taking a meal break at their designated rest area – a small private room at Expo MRT station – when Fayyadh took his Taser out as he was bored. He switched the weapon’s safety switch on and off several times before putting his finger in its trigger guard and twirling it.

As a result, the Taser discharged and its probes struck the wall to his right. Fayyadh’s colleagues, who heard a “pop” sound followed by an “electric” sound, looked up and saw Fayyadh holding the Taser in his right hand looking very shocked, said the prosecution.

Fayyadh then told his colleagues that he thought the Taser was switched off and asked what he should do. Fayyadh then called his supervisor, an assistant superintendent, to report the incident.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Yang Ziliang called for the maximum fine of $2,500 for Fayyadh. When asked by District Judge Marvin Bay whether the Taser could have caused death, the DPP said the it could have caused grievous hurt if the probes hit a person’s face.

District Judge Marvin Bay said a deterrent sentence was needed to warn other NSFs who carry stun guns from “engaging in ill-advised horseplay”. Bay also noted Fayyadh’s age and the fact that the incident did not take place in a public space nor did it cause harm or alarm to the public.

For the offence of committing a rash act that endangers human life, Fayyadh, who was not represented, could have been jailed up to six months in addition to the maximum fine of $2,500.

More Singapore stories:

Activist Han Hui Hui ejected from Select Committee hearings

Illegal fruit seller jailed 20 weeks for assaulting NEA officers