Drug abuser who injured 3 police officers while resisting arrest jailed, caned

Drug abuser who injured 3 police officers while resisting arrest jailed, caned
(PHOTO: Getty Images)

Under the influence of drugs, he not only rode his motorcycle at a police officer but left another officer temporarily unconscious while resisting arrest.

In total, Ampalagam Alagu injured three policemen on 4 August last year as they tried to take him into custody. The 42-year-old Singaporean, a recalcitrant drug offender, was also found to be in possession of a small quantity of heroin and, at the point of his arrest, had failed to report for his urine test 13 times.

At the State Courts on Wednesday (23 May), Ampalagam was sentenced to seven years and 14 months’ jail along with six strokes of the cane.

He had pleaded guilty to one count of failing to stop when ordered by police officers, one count of riding a motorcycle in a rash manner and two counts of voluntarily causing hurt to two officers. He also admitted to four counts of drug-related charges, including possession and consumption.

Ampalagam was also disqualified from driving for a year for driving in a rash manner.

The court heard that at around 9am on 4 August last year, Senior Station Inspector Guok Joong Yin, Corporal Gaivin Tey and Special Constable Hung Yung Wei had responded to a complaint of a motorcycle being ridden at the void deck of Block 406 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10.

When the officers arrived at the scene, they found Ampalagam sitting on his motorcycle with its engine turned on. He was then asked to switch off the vehicle’s engine but he ignored the officers’ orders and instead revved the motorcycle’s engine.

Ampalagam then rode his motorcycle towards the officers at speed, nearly ramming into Tey – who had to step aside to avoid being hit. Ampalagam then rode down a kerb onto a pedestrian walkway where he lost control of the motorcycle, causing it to skid and collide into a concrete bench.

He then attempted to flee on foot but what chased by the officers. Ampalagam put up a violent struggle as the the three officers attempted to place him under arrest.

He hit Tey’s let hand and arm and pushed Guok in the chest so forcefully that the officer fell backwards and hit his head on the ground, causing him to momentarily lose consciousness.

Ampalagam also punched Hung in the mouth. He was eventually subdued and arrested at about 9.20am. A body search conducted on Ampalagam found him to be in possession of a small packet of diamorphine, also known as heroin, which he later tested positive for.

As a result of the encounter, Guok sustained contusions on the front of his brain and was given medical leave for 23 days. He also reported having difficulty sleeping and experiencing headaches.

An X-ray showed that Tey had fractured his thumb, which also had swelling and bruising. He was given medical leave for a week. As for Hung, the inside of his mouth was bruised and he was given medical leave for the day.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Sarah Shi said that Ampalagam was last convicted on 17 September 2012 for consuming drugs and had been sentenced to five years’ jail and three strokes of the cane.

He had also been placed under compulsory supervision for two years with effect from 4 June 2016 but failed to turn up his scheduled urine tests on 13 occasions.

District Judge Shaiffudin Saruwan, who said he took a strong view of those who caused hurt to police officers, found few mitigating factors in Amapalagam’s case.

“You were placed on urine supervision but absconded not once, not twice, but 13 times. This shows you are recalcitrant, intractable. You don’t want to learn from your actions,” said the judge.