Man who tried to grab police officer’s revolver jailed one year, two months

Man who tried to grab police officer’s revolver jailed one year, two months
Singapore state courts (Yahoo News Singapore file photo)

A man who tried to grab a revolver from a police officer who was responding to a call was jailed one year and two months on Thursday.

Mohd Omar Abdul Rahim, 53, pleaded guilty in the State Courts to one count of using criminal force in an attempt to commit theft, one count of using criminal force against a public servant on duty, and one count of violating a personal protection order.

The court was told that on 12 December 2016, the police received a call from Omar’s son. The latter and his father had an argument during which Omar smashed his son’s fish tank.

After the police arrived at Omar’s house, he was told to produce his identity card. While handing over the card, Omar slipped and fell. When a police officer helped Omar to get up, he tried to grab the officer’s loaded revolver and pushed his holster.

The officer managed to secure his revolver. While Omar was placed under arrest, he shouted at the officer to shoot him.

In a separate incident on 21 October 2017, the police responded to call that a man was attacking people near an HDB block in Jurong East and despatched three officers to the scene.

Omar smelt strongly of alcohol and was behaving in an aggressive manner, according to court documents. When the officers tried to calm Omar down, he remained uncooperative and shouted expletives at them. He spat at the left cheek of one of the officers and was placed under arrest.

On 23 March this year, the police responded to a call over a separate dispute involving Omar and his son at their house.

When police officers arrived at the scene, Omar and his son were still arguing. During the spat, Omar punched his son on his right lip area. At the time, the son had a valid personal protection order issued previously against Omar, who was restrained from using family violence under the order.